I like breakfast. I eat it every weekday, no exceptions. After I put on my makeup and curl my hair, I usually make a beeline to the kitchen around 8am to start breakfast for Kevin and me. On Thursday, I decided it would be a good day for egg and cheese biscuit sandwiches. Yum, right?
So here's the play-by-play. I take the Schwan's frozen biscuits out of the freezer. I notice that several are stuck together, but I take a single out and put it on the cookie sheet. Then I notice there's another single but I don't like the way it looks (of course, why would the biscuit-making machine make an ugly biscuit?). So I take out two biscuits frozen together and bang them on the counter. No luck. I see a knife I used to cut yesterday's avocado, rinsed off but not washed, sitting on the sink's edge. "This should do it..." I think as I push the tip of the blade into the frozen dough, with my left hand holding the biscuits and my right hand handling the knife. I see-saw it, no luck again. "Dammit...a little more force should do it..."
KKKKEEEVVVVVVVVINNNN!!! HELP!!!!!!!
I dropped the knife and bent over the sink, blood flowing from my hand like boxed wine during a redneck wedding. I was too scared to take pressure off of it, but Kevin made me so he could look at it. The cut was deep and about 1/2 inch long. As I stood up straight up, I suddenly felt light-headed, dizzy and hot....everything went white around me and I started to crumple to my feet. Kevin caught me and put my arm around him as I stumbled towards the couch.
After I came to and several minutes of icing it, I removed the bag of frozen goodness to take another look at my wound. Kevin was on the phone with my dad, debating whether or not it was bad enough to require a hospital visit and stitches, when I rotated my hand and noticed the exit wound. I freaked out. NO WONDER THE OTHER SIDE OF MY HAND WAS HURTING.
Me: "Kevin, honey...the knife went through my hand."
Kevin: "Umm, wow. Okay. Okay...um...yeah, now we have to take you to a doctor."
Fantastic news, wouldn't you agree? We decided that Primacare would see me faster than the ER at Parkland or Baylor, so I got dressed carefully so we could leave. On the way out, I stuffed two breakfast bars and bottled water in my purse...after all, I WAS NOT going to miss breakfast just because I stuck a knife clean through my hand.
About 3 hours later, I was stitched up with 5 total stitches...3 on the entrance wound, 2 on the exit wound. Kevin and I took a sick day and spent the rest of the day holed up in my apartment.
Thank you sweetheart for taking such good care of me, I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't been there.
I get to go back next Friday and have the stitches removed. Until then I can function almost normally, and I will definitely be more careful in the kitchen!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What do you mean you make breakfast for you and Kevin??? Does he come over early in the morning, on his way to work?
I'm glad you are ok!!! It looks yucky and painful!
Post a Comment