Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Like freshly blown glass

Although we just got back from 6 days in New York, last Thursday my boss James suggested to Kevin that we both take the day off and go to Granbury. Kevin needed to go to get his air conditioning serviced so we didn't decline the offer and left after our first kickball game (yes, you heard right...we're in an *official* league) Wednesday night. We had a contest on the way there for the most creative hairstyle. I won.


We stayed up that night way past our bedtime listening to the crickets and staying warm by the fire. Thursday morning, we worked remotely for a little while and ate blueberry pancakes (mmm!), then we went out on the boat before we cleaned it. The water...was like glass.

Shadow, who has always been a little pansy in the boat, decided suddenly to play boat captain. He went up to the front, looked out with his ears flopping in the wind;


...then back the back seats, and watched the prop turn up a tidy wake....


Then we anchored at "party cove" (which there was no PARTY at all that day) and cleaned the inside of the boat while we got some sun. After we drove back to the marina to Kevin's slip so he could clean the outside of the boat, I went back to his house to get the big new boat cover he bought to replace the one that was slashed by vandals this summer.

However, when I got to his house I discovered the new box had been stolen from his garage. A few weeks ago, he got a call that his house had been broken into and a few things stolen. We firmly believe a group of 65 year old grandmothers and their husbands broke into the house...missing items include 2 burned candles (but not the holder), two table centerpieces, a wooden bear, a small moose statue, tools and now a boat cover.

So....a scrubbed boat will now be dirty again next time we get there. But that's okay, at least we put our elbow grease to work instead of being lazy. We indulged ourselves in Grump's, then headed home after cleaning up.

On Friday night we went BACK to Granbury and hung out with my parents until late late night. Then grabbed Taco Bell at 1am..bad idea.

My mom and I, with the family dog Gracie

Saturday night we came back because I had to babysit for the Blackmon's. Kevin made fun of me because I'm a 24 year old college grad with a career and I'm still babysitting...but I tried to explain to him that it's not about the money. It's the fact that a family in a huge city like Dallas knows, trusts, and can depend on me with their 2 year old son. And that's a hard thing to come by nowadays.

After babysitting I met Kevin, Tom (one of the old partners that moved) and James at MiCocina for a few drinks. Tom crashed on the couch so he didn't have to drive to Frisco that night.

Sunday, we all went to breakfast at Taco Diner. Kevin and I were supposed to have a Cowboys cookout with Lindsey and Brandon, but it was so beautiful outside that we decided to call off the cookout and spend it at Uptown Pub.

Later that night, we went to Kevin's friend Natalie's house for a crab boil. Although the situation couldn't have been weirder, we had a blast. Lance, Leigh and Blaine came with Kevin and I and we all ate good food and drooled over Natalie's awesome kitchen.




Next weekend we're going to Muleshoe...with Shadow in tow. Giddy up and get ya Stetsons on!

1 comment:

Erin Mills said...

Hooray! I look forward to reading more and catching up with my pledge sister!!