Friday, December 5, 2008

Thanksgiving in the dust

Last weekend for Thanksgiving, Kevin, Shat-oh! and I drove out to Muleshoe. And Kevin was all, "It smells like cow shit out here." Yes, I know honey. And harvest is nearing its end, which doesn't make the air quality much better.

Thanksgiving Day was really wonderful; I realize that these next few holiday seasons will probably be the last ones I will be able to spend with some of my grandparents. Although my mom's dad is still practicing medicine and riding his stationary bike daily, that doesn't change that fact that he is 83 years young and can't live forever. So I treasure the days when I get to spend time with them.

My dad's mom brought her famous cornbread stuffing, and my mom's mom bought a ridiculously awesome chocolate cake from Williams Sonoma. Oh, and I fell flat-face-in-love with my mom's 7 layer salad. I had a large helping of it. And another. And another. And then she had to make another one because we were supposed to have it again the next day but I had eaten it all (no joke).

On Friday, we ate lunch at Leal's and I took Kevin to Muleshoe's Williams General Store and the Dollar General (shout out!). That night we went across state borders to Clovis, New Mexico with my friend Shelbi, her boyfriend Russ, and his brother Chad.

Chad, Shelbi and Russ

We started off with margaritas at Chili's (hey, our options are limited in Clovis), then stopped by Kelley's bar.

Landshark beer is pretty good, btw

Kevin needs to take silly face lessons from me

They kicked us out for being so cute

It was a tad bit ghet-toe there so we decided it was time to submit Kevin to redneck and cowboy heaven at Clovis City Limits. Think fake Brighton purses, Stetsons and a big dance floor with couples two-stepping to Clint Black.

On the way home we stopped at Allsup's in Farwell, Texas for some burritos. Yes, those nasty fried no-telling-how-long-they've-been-under-the-warmer bean burritos. With lots of taco sauce. Shelbi was even lucky enough for me to hand feed her; I guess she was just lazy.

Just before we fell asleep on the way home

Sober Shelbi

Saturday morning we got in my parents' hot tub to detox, ate another awesome meal (I have yet to step on the scale to see the damage) and left around 5pm for Dallas. Now I'm looking forward to doing it all over again for Christmas.

No comments: